11.04.2009

Exploring Barcelona

I just returned from an amazing trip!!! For my birthday, my parents took me on a Mediterranean cruise. It was spectacular! We started off in Barcelona. . . the architecture there is nothing sort of fantastic. We visited the church La Sagrada Familia, the unfinished work of Mondernisme icon Antoni Gaudi. The church was started in 1882 and construction continues to this day. They are hoping to complete the church in 2026, the 100th anniversary of Gaudi's tragic death. He was hit by a trolley.We also visited another of Gaudi's works - the Casa Batllo - located on the prestigious Passeig de Gracia. The building has been said to symbolize the legend of St. George killing the dragon.
Right next door was another spectacular building the name of which escaped my glance. I couldn't get enough of the whimsical feeling and bright colors of the architecture there.We also visited Barcelona's famous outdoor market. It was beautiful. Well, I should say the fruit, nuts, & chocolate areas were beautiful. The meat & fish section made my stomach turn - mainly due to the smell & skinless animals with eyes still intact.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I am so happy that you got to go on that trip. That one whimsical building was on the Ace of Cakes. It was the couples favorite building in the world so they made and exact replica of it for their wedding cake. Amazing that you got to see it. Happy Birthday!