6.24.2008

Fishing the Salmon Fly Hatch

The salmon fly hatch of the Black Canyon is the biggest & most infamous hatch in Colorado... Experienced fishermen floating the river during the hatch can catch 50+ trout. Of course we just happened to be in the area at the start of the hatch and decided to check it out.


The sunset from our campsite.

Below is a picture of a salmon fly. They are 2-3in long and were EVERYWHERE!! I counted nearly 20 crawling on Ryan at once. I got used to them crawling up my legs, but from time to time one flew right into my face and I couldn't help but shreek!

Sadly, we were just a couple days too early and the trout weren't rising to eat the salmon flies yet. Ryan caught one small brown trout. It was well worth the hike to see the feeding frenzy on the shore. The garter snakes, skinks, & lizards were out in full force!

No comments: